Monday, September 12, 2011

When They See Me....

When they see me..


Some of them cry, some of them turn their heads away from me

Not wanting to see the pitiful sight that is me

Some of them throw me out of their shops

While other draw up their car windows in the streets

Thinking that I am a beggar

Out to con them out of their money or beg


When they see me

Some of them cringe

Not wanting to fathom the pain of forever walking on crutches

Forever needing a guide, forever needing a sign language interpreter

I observe the pain in their eyes, the shame they feel and the guilt of their inability to give


When I see them

I see fallacies, misconceptions, and unwillingness to learn

I do not want a pity party

I may be in tattered cloths, hungry and I may not have three meals today

But I have a will power, capacity to learn, sustain myself


When you see me

Teach me how to fish, uplift me with the means of earning a living

Guilt, shame, pity

All these things do not change a thing

Everyday you will look at me, and I will look at you

And all I will ever see is glimmering hope that soon dies out

As soon as you pass me by

The coin you dropped is like a blowing wind

Like bathing water that can only be used once


By CC

No comments:

Post a Comment