Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Able Team Begins the Ascend of Mt.Kilimanjaro

The team ready for descend
The long awaited climb came to pass and it was all systems go, lots of enthusiasm around the participating team and great support from friends and colleagues including those who contributed as part of the threshold for one to climb Mt.Kilimanjaro.

In between before starting the climb I was thoroughly engaged in different processes that required the attention of Action Network for the Disabled as a disability organization in Kenya, we had just participated in the launch of the inaugural Prime Minister’s Roundtable Meeting with the Youth where ANDY was the sole representative on disability issues and you can read about this in our upcoming blog post.
ANDY was also representing Kenya as a country coordinator in the Tackling Poverty Together Project, in a regional meeting that brought together eight African countries to discuss the future of the project while transitioning from a project to a network.
This actually means that time was limited and I therefore had to manage it creatively to be in a position to be ready for the climb. I left the meeting half-way for the last minute-preparations given that my flight to Kilimanjaro was on 26th November 2010 at 8am and the fact that I live 35KM away from Nairobi, that would be another challenge in getting to the airport!
It however worked out nicely and I was at the airport at the required time and we all joined up with the UK climbers headed for Kilimanjaro International Airport!! On arrival at the airport, I was shocked to discover that Tanzanian Government would still require a Kenyan to show their Yellow Fever Certificate yet these sorts of requirements were scrapped in the East African Community agreements! To be honest, I felt that was a rip-off as I had to pay $ 20 after negotiating to get another Yellow Fever Certificate while I knew very well that this was wrong and I indeed had one at my house but thought it was not necessary being an East African!! All the same, I made it past the immigration and we were good to go!
Our local tour guides (Ahsante Tours) were there to receive us in coordination with their UK counterparts (Action Challenge) all of whom are responsible for our climb logistics including assistive requirements for the 6 persons with disabilities in the group myself included. We all headed for Protea Hotel, a 45 minute drive from the airport. We indeed needed the rest at the hotel ready for the task ahead the following day!

At exactly 2pm, lunch was ready and we all assembled as a team in between getting to know each other and taking lunch. A really nice way to start the event! Immediately after lunch, it was time for actual briefing for the climb and checking if everyone had the required equipment to be able to make it to the top without daunting challenges. It seemed everyone was pretty prepared and stated one reason why they were doing the climb even after knowing that it was an indeed a daunting task especially for those with a disability!
It took close to two hours for the briefing and everyone was set to go, all of us had a nice meal at the hotel and I would recommend the hotel for anyone traveling to Mt.Kilimanjaro, it has a relaxing serenity anyone would need away from the hurdles of daily life.
The next morning 27th November2010,this was the real day, we all had our breakfast at 7am and were ready to leave for the Mountain at 7.30am.We had to sort our luggage so that we only carry what we need for the climb and the rest was stored for us in the proceeding Hotel.

On arrival at the gate to Kilimanjaro, all of us alighted from the Ahsante`s tour van, our bags assigned to potters and assistants while we cleared with the Tanzanian National Park officials to get a climbing permit. This took a bit of time but we eventually got it done, took a joint photo and set off with our guides in toe giving us every information we need. To be honest, this is the day I had to drink too much water to check the dehydration as I had already started loosing much of it uphill and my guide was really helpful for carrying my bad and water as we took up the task with no mean gusto!

For starters, if you hear that someone did attempt climbing Mt.Kilimanjaro and did even 1000m, that person did achieve a lot by any standards given that the mountain is steep with lots of challenging routes and for a person with disability like myself and colleagues in the team, this is an experience never to be erased in our memory in the entire life.

That is the taste of my first experience and you should get a summary of the whole experience in the days to come!! And I know people are asking whether I will reach the top but respond still remains, it is not too much about whether I am making it to the top but the key thing for is, wherever my energies and ability get me, that would be a great achievement by any standards. The reason I am doing this is worth enough to have reached where I would have reached. You can still contribute to enable me realize my goal at www.justgiving.com/fredrick-ouko


Fredrick Ouko

No comments:

Post a Comment